I’m off today for Portland, Oregon, to attend the Transforming Faith, Divining Gender conference, sponsored by the Community of Welcoming Congregations. Aside from enjoying the company of old friends and making new ones, I’ll also be presenting a workshop with my dear friend Peterson Toscano entitled “Unearthing Transgressive Taboos and Transformative Texts in Scripture.” Here’s a description of the conference, from the official website:
Transforming Faith: Divining Gender – A three-day interfaith gathering in Portland, Oregon that seeks to:
- Educate communities of faith in the spectrum of gender identities and gender expressions
- Give tools and resources for supporting gender variant youth
- Dismantle binary gender constructs and their reign in misogyny and homophobia
- Nurture and empower transgender leadership.
The keynote address will be offered by Dr. Virginia Ramey Mollenkott, author of 12 books, including Omnigender.
Plenary sessions will feature:
- New Testament scholar Dr. Mary Ann Tolbert, George H. Atkinson Professor of Biblical Studies at the Pacific School of Religion and Executive Director of the Center for Lesbian and Gay Studies in Religion and Ministry, who will address Gender and the Bible.
- Jenn Burleton, Executive Director of TransActive will present a panel of youth and resources for supporting gender variant children and teens
- Faisal Alam, founder of Al Fatiha (a network for LGBTQ Muslims), will be exploring the complex diversity within the Muslim world and will illustrate the many challenges facing queer Muslims.
The conference will feature:
- Peterson Toscano performing his play, Transfigurations: Transgressing Gender and the Bible.
- A film/video festival
- Interfaith worship experiences, workshops, forums and social gatherings.
If you’re coming to Portland, I can’t wait to see you! If you’re not, don’t worry–I’ll be blogging as much of it as I can. It’s what I do.